- NFL partners with Mythical Games to create NFL Rivals
- NFL Rivals a 3D arcade game with all 32 licensed teams and the players as tradeable NFTs
- Estimated release in the first half of 2023.
2022 has seen some major partnerships occur in blockchain gaming, but many familiar and beloved franchises are still only rumors. Sports games are a genre I have been particularly interested in seeing more of, given how well blockchain fits with the card and pack opening systems of game modes like FIFA Ultimate Team.
The NFL has its own popular games, but has been experiencing some difficulties lately. 2K’s highly anticipated NFL arcade game has been continuously delayed with no end in sight. However, the NFL has become one of the first major sports IPs to make moves towards web3 with its license, partnering with Mythical Games to develop NFL Rivals.
Who Are Mythical Games?
Mythical Games is a blockchain gaming studio and platform, best known for their popular project, Blankos Block Party, a social MMO centered around NFTs and user-generated content. They are also working on several other projects currently under wraps, but their latest game to be announced is NFL Rivals.
What Is NFL Rivals?
There isn’t a lot known about NFL Rivals yet, but here’s what we do know. It will be an NFT game and “Play-and-Own”. The game with be player-versus-player, arcade, and 3D, with all 32 official teams and the league players will be tradeable NFTs. The release date is pitched at early 2023.
Why Is This Important?
Here is an overview of why this is important:
- NFL is a major, globally recognized IP
- NFL is a major IP within the games industry
- NFL Rivals is being made my a successful web3 games studio, Mythical Games
- NFL Rivals is a 3D arcade game
- All 32 teams are officially licensed
- All NFL players will be tradeable NFTs
This is exactly what many of us have hoped to see with the likes of EA’s FIFA (now EA Sports FC) and it could well act as the first step towards more high-profile sports games using blockchain.